sharonkaraa

sharonkaraa

Someone Close To Home: Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Someone Close To Home: Things Aren't Always What They Seem - Alex Craigie A standing ovation to this new author. I haven't read a book that has touched me so much in a long while. Extremely well written and gripping from page 1 through to the nail-biting finale, this is an absolute work of art. The tale is a bit of a mystery, a bit romance and a lot, literature at its finest. The story revolves around Megan and jumps backwards and forwards through her life, as it was and how she came to be where she is, and as it is now. A haunting portrayal of life in a care home for a woman who is unable to communicate about anything - let alone the abuse she suffers at the hands of her carer, the author then teases you with glimpses of her past - her success as a concert pianist, her relationship with her troubled parents and a life-long friendship that has the potential to blossom into something deeper. You know, you just know, the two will converge as they surely must. And you'd be right. I am trying my hardest not to give away the plot because this book will hit you square in the heart as well as the head and I really don't want to deprive you of the experience. All I can say, if you read nothing else this year, this book is an absolute must. It's a rare gem I guarantee you will want to read again and again, no matter if you're sixteen or sixty.